Maternity Photography Gallery
Belly Bump | Maternity Sessions ONLY AVAILABLE with All That Jazz Photography Pampered Baby Sessions.
Beautiful Maternity Portraits
SEE BELOW FOR MATERNITY PORTRAIT TIPS
How to get the best maternity portraits
1. Maternity portraits or pictures generally should be taken around the 7th or 8th month. The pregnancy bell is the optimum size during this time for portrait purposes. Earlier than that your belly may be too small. If you’re gaining a lot of weight or carrying more than one baby, you will most likely want to do your portraits sooner rather than later. Many women retain water and look puffy during their last parts of their pregnancy.
2. At least several hours before your portrait session, you should take off anything that has tight elastic or that may cause creases in your skin (bra, tight undies, socks,) Also, don’t use any lotion on your belly, especially the kind of lotion to help reduce stretch marks on the day of your session. Lotion will make your belly shiny, and shine does not look great in pictures.
3. Tops should be form fitting…especially around the bust line. Oversized shirts, (for example, wearing the husbands white work shirt), won’t show your shape and showing the shape of your belly is the whole point of these portraits. Oversized shirts will make you look heavier and less curvy than you are. Oversized shirts will result in a block shaped silhouette and that’s not a look you’re going to want to project.
You’ll want something to cover the breasts, and yet expose the belly. You will probably want to bring a pair or two of heels even though most images will be barefoot. Its a good idea to bring a pretty bra as well as some pretty panties, even if your photographer is planning to use fabric to wrap you. Bringing a robe is a good idea to throw on in the studio between poses.
If you have large breasts, make sure you bring a skin-colored bra that is strapless or has removable straps, or you can take the straps and tuck them back into the bra. You’ll be wearing the bra underneath the fabric draping which will most likely be a bit see-through – which is why we want it skin colored (to your skin). This will give you the best and most shapely silhouette in your pregnancy pictures.
4. Hands will show…so don’t forget to have a manicure and a pedicure too. Face powder is always a good idea, perhaps the best way, to eliminate shiny spots. Face blotters work to a degree, to absorb facial oil and do so without messing up your makeup. You can get face blotters at the beauty supply, your makeup counter etc. Moisturize your elbows and knees, or they’ll show lighter colored because of the drier skin. But please don’t use GLITTERY lotion. It does NOT photograph well. Don’t wear makeup with SPF because spf has a reflective quality when photographed.
5. It’s a good idea to eat a light snack before the shoot.
6. Limit jewelry to essential pieces. While it’s nice to include special or important jewelry in your portraits, too much jewelry can be distracting and may dominate the portrait.
7. It’s a good idea to bring images from the internet, magazines etc when you come to your session. Showing examples is the best way to communicate with your photographer about the type of look and mood you want for your portraits. Don’t expect your photographer to “do all the work”, you need to put forth a good bit of effort and planning, if you want good portraits.
8. If you are planning on including your husband in your images, have him bring a pair of black slacks, a pair of jeans, remove his belt, or have no shiny belt-buckle. A black long sleeve shirt and a black short sleeve t-shirt with no logo is great too. If you have something specific you’d like him to wear, bring that too! If you wear a brightly colored shirt, have him wear something bright too.
9. If you have a theme for your baby room, bring props or items from the room. Also bring clothing for the baby like booties, hats etc., and maybe a stuffed animal/blanket.
10. Relax! It’s a fun experience and I’m a master at Photoshop. Together we will make unforgettable maternity portraits that you will love forever!
Maternity Pictures by All That Jazz Photography
Hillsboro | Portland | Beaverton | Salem | Albany | Forest Grove | Aloha | Vancouver || Oregon / Washington